Selling gets such a bad rap, you know? Just saying the word can make you feel slimy, desperate, and needy.
But the thing is… selling can actually be a good thing when you hit it from the right angle. (I mean, you are a business owner after all. You gotta sell.)
Now, if you’re selling something you don’t believe in, of course it’s going to feel gross. #duh
But when you have the perfect solution to people’s problems and approach it in the right way, how you (and your people) feel about sales totally changes.
So how do you make that shift so you can start feeling awesome about it — and become a sales ninja?
We’ve got the goods inside this episode!
So let us have it… what comes up for you when we mention sales?
- A DM from that person who ignored you in high school acting like you’re suddenly BFF’s
- Some guy in a leisure suit trying to sell you a used car you know is overpriced
- Basically anyone trying to sell you something you don’t need or want
No matter what popped into your head, it probably makes you feel a tad skeevy.
*Spoiler alert* It’s not just you.
So many people get that icky vibe when it comes to selling or being sold to because of the hella awkward experiences they’ve had with it.
The thing is, you’ve got to break that negative association because selling is how you serve your audience — it’s actually a GOOD thing.
You’ve taken the time to really listen to them and what they struggle with, so you know what they need and you can meet it.
Let’s be honest here: if you had the perfect solution to ending the pandemic or reversing climate change, you’d be shouting it from the rooftops to anyone who was willing to listen, right?
So why is it so hard to share your solution with the people who need it most?
Answer: because you’re looking at it the wrong effing way.
You’ve got to reframe it to a positive thing that helps you serve your people. When you can do that, it will change the game.
We know… because we’ve done it. Here’s how:
1. Switched out the word “sales” for the word “empathy” — when you understand someone’s problems and have the perfect solution, you’re going to feel a whole lot better sharing it with them.
2. Only sell what we believe in — if you offer something with a ton of value, you’re going to feel good about selling it. Free pro tip: If you don’t believe in it, you shouldn’t be selling it.
3. Ditched the fear of rejection — ask yourself how many haters are more successful than you. Answer: none. Stop worrying about what the hell they think.
4. Built rapport with our people — when you’ve gotten to know people and have provided value and earned their trust, it’s a whole lot easier for them to take a chance on what you have to offer.
5. Shifted our thinking from income to impact — truth bomb: people can tell when all you care about is making money because your vibe is self-serving. When they know you care about them and their transformation, they’re more confident with moving forward with you.
Newsflash: it’s not rocket science. Just simple steps to shift the way you approach selling. The result is you’ll feel better about it and your people will, too.
That and you’ll start seeing more kickass results in your biz. #winning
Want to get the full details on each of the points above? Hop on and give this episode a listen.
Was there one tip that made you say, “Oh shit, total game changer!”? Tag us @screwtheninetofive on the IG and let us know. We always love hearing your mind-explosion moments. 😉
Subscribe To The Show
Gems we mentioned today:
The Big 3!
- Sales to “empathy”
- Only sell what you believe in
- Ditch the fear of rejection
Nuggets you don’t want to miss:
Click on any of the timestamps below to listen in to that section of the episode:
Subscribe To The Podcast
The other (cheekier) half of Screw The Nine To Five + a diehard traveler with our little guy Kai.